Friday, February 6, 2009

Sorting 101, part 2

I finally got around to do some more sorting. Last article I talked about breaking down a large pile of Lego into the smallest number of groups as possible. The best way to do that is to sort them by color. Now that each color is sorted out, I break down each color into types of elements. The number of groups depends on how many different types of elements are in each color group. The most common groups are: bricks, plates, tiles, slopes, wedges, hinges, doors and windows, technic, and modified plates.

To start out, I dump one color out on a blanket. Then just pick through the pile one by one putting the element in the respective pile. Here's a picture of what I ended up with. The 2 largest piles were bricks and plates.


The piles above are (left to right): wedges, panels, bricks, modified plates, hinges, train, modified tile, fence, windows/ doors, brackets, tiles, canopies, supports, plates, technic, and slope. I also found one car jack and one old minifigure legs.



Also, when I go through and sort any Lego I am keeping an eye out for any Mega Block or other non - Lego parts. I bagged up all the separate piles and stored them in their box, until it's time to sort them out even more.

The next step after sorting by type is sorting each type into size. That will be next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment